15 Mar World Sleep Day: Healthy Sleep, Healthy Aging
If you wish to know more about healthy sleep and healthy aging check out http://worldsleepday.org.
Such as the following taken from the World Sleep Day website:
World Sleep Day is an annual event, intended to be a celebration of sleep and a call to action on important issues related to sleep, including medicine, education, social aspects and driving.
It is organized by the World Sleep Day Committee of World Sleep Society and aims to lessen the burden of sleep problems on society through better prevention and management of sleep disorders.
Don’t just sleep on it:
- Most sleep disorders are preventable or treatable, yet less than one-third of sufferers seek professional help.
- Sleep problems constitute a global epidemic that threatens health and quality of life for up to 45% of the world’s population.
- Better understanding of sleep conditions and more research into the area will help reduce the burden of sleep disorders on society.
Three elements of good quality sleep are:
- Duration: The length of sleep should be sufficient for the sleeper to be rested and alert the following day.
- Continuity: Sleep periods should be seamless without fragmentation.
- Depth: Sleep should be deep enough to be restorative.